Now that I'm almost done, I have been looking through the pictures I've taken the last week or so, and find they make an interesting progression. Hope you agree.
Photo 1. Freshly out of the water
Photo 1 shows the Blue Moon freshly hauled. I think she's still dripping. Her bottom is covered with oysters, barnacles, and a thick, sticky goo. Nasty stuff.
Photo 2 - Close up of bottom
Here's a close up of the bottom. My dinky Home Depot power washer didn't make a dent on this sort of junk. It's possible to scrape or wire brush this stuff off. Bob and I went at it with such tools for a couple hours. It probably would have take 2 days to get all the junk off. We eventually gave up and rented a heavy duty power washer. The kind with a big gas engine and a jet that will take your foot off if you aren't careful. That was the right tool for the job.
Photo 3 - Remove the junk, find the worms
Power washing the junk off revealed the bottom, which had other problems.
Photo 4 - Removing barnacle 'feet'
One of the most difficult problems was how to remove the barnacle 'feet'... these are little shell-like objects that stick to the hull like crazy. You'd think they were epoxied on if you didn't know better.
The power washer didn't take them off. You could sand them off with a power sander, but that was like using a bulldozer to plant a petunia. It worked, but removed too much paint and/or wood surrounding the foot.
Photo 5 - the right tool for removing feet
After experimenting with several tools, I discovered a broad, sharp chisel took the feet off quickly and without damaging anything else. I'm sure it needs sharpening, after such abuse, but that's not a problem.
Photo 6 - Sanding... the unavoidable job
Eventually, the topsides and bottom needed a good sanding, mainly to fair out the uneven paint, as much as possible. A purist might have removed all the paint. I'm not a purist!
Photo 7 - worm holes epoxied shut
After sanding and removing the bad wood around worm holes, we epoxied the holes. And sanded again.
Photo 8 - first coat applied
After the first coat of bottom and topside paint, she's starting to look good.
Photo 9 - done!
And here she is with a second coat top and bottom, rail painted a nice cream color, with a matching waterline.
Whew! And that's how I spent my winter vacation! Launching tomorrow!
>> Next Episode: Lining Off