14 September 2013

Day 1 - Salvador

It Begins
  by John

Just a quick post to let everyone know we've arrived safely and have moved aboard Fiona. It was 10 hour flight from New York to Rio, and then another 2 hours up to Salvador, and then a half-hour cab ride to Bahia Marina, in the historic section of Salvador.

We met Eric at the boat. He showed us around, settled us into our berths, and at five-o'clock sharp, served us the traditional Fiona cocktail for Happy Hour.

Fiona in Salvador
That was followed up by a light meal at one of the many nice restaurants near the marina, and then it was time (actually, past time) for a shower and bed.

First-Night Celebration
Helena is already in her bunk, sleeping. Rain is pattering lightly on deck. I'm the last one up and I'm looking forward to curling up in my bunk for a few minutes of reading.

Tomorrow, Eric has a list of things that need to be fixed. We'll tackle them early in the morning, while it's still cool, and then head into the historic district to see what there is to see. We hope to set sail on Tuesday morning, latest.

Aye-aye Captain
  by Helena

Finally we arrived to Salvador, Bahia Marina.  We met with Captain Eric yesterday around lunch and after a couple of beers and some caipirinhas (Brazilian national drink), we boarded Fiona (but not until I put on my super wrist bands -- just in case).

After unpacking our duffle bags into small cubbies, we looked around to what is going to be our home away (really far away) from home for the next 3 weeks. The bunks we are sleeping in are 18 inches wide and just long enough to straighten my legs... I guess John will be a bit scrunched up. We were shown how the head (bathroom in sailing language) works and we each got a drinking mug assigned.

After a quick trip to the supermarket for fresh fruit and some supplies, more beer and caipirinhas, Captain Eric proposed his travel plan for us. Because of my experience as a sailor (none), he decided that five days would be too much for a first leg -- thank you Captain. We will sail Tuesday morning to Ilheus, just an overnight trip to start.

The plan proposed for tomorrow, Sunday, was for John to help the Captain work on some pumps and the steering mechanism and to set up the awning. I was awarded the  job of scrubbing the deck and washing of the cushions. The Captain kept the job of going up the mast, to do something dangerous, for himself.

Good night.

Next Episode: Salvador Day 2

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're in Salvador, and on board, almost ready to go.
    Smooth sailing, and stay safe (please!!) We'll all be waiting to hear about your adventures. Enjoy!


I'd love to hear from you. Please comment!